Dear Mr. President,
This is most likely not a surprise but I didn’t vote for you. However, you are my President and since you are representing the American people, let me give you some suggestions:
1. Somehow you won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 (and you said it yourself, you were “surprised”, we all were) but there is a lot of evidence that suggests that peace is not something you are promoting. This CNN article talks about how your national security plan seems to be completely comprised of drone usage, and frankly that terrifies me. As the photos suggest, your enemies may be eliminated but so are innocent individuals. You have authorized 283 attacks on Pakistan and “as a result, the number of estimated deaths from the Obama administration’s drone strikes is more than four times what it was during the Bush administration — somewhere between 1,494 and 2,618.” Excessive violence does not make peace.
2. I do not want to pay for the birth control of others and I do not want individuals to be fined for not having Obamacare. I realize that these are apparently alleged terms to your Affordable Care Act, but you promised a Conscience Clause and you have not provided that so you will forgive me if I am pessimistic.
3. I’m not sure about this, but I don’t know how much you can actually do about gay marriage rights. Historically speaking, it has been a state level decision and because of the whole separation of powers thing I’m not sure you can promise change.
4. I realize that it took more than 4 years to demolish our economy so obviously it will take more than 4 years to repair it, but please try to repair it. You promised to lessen the national debt and we have plunged even deeper into it.
5. I would like less of this:
and a greater attendance of your security meetings.
You promised a lot of change when you ran 4 years ago and I’m not sure what change has really occurred. People are truly enamored by your personality and your charisma which are traits of a great leader, but they need to be coupled with a knowledge of your people and actually taking action.
Praying for you,